Saturday, December 27, 2008

Someone Stole my Name!

So it turns out some hip graphic artist actually stole my name and used it to register his new domain name, devlindonnelly.com.

He seems pretty cool. Fortunately, I also happen to have the stylish middle name Dewitt, giving me the full Irish-Gaelic name Devlin Dewitt Donnelly and the domain name www.devlindewittdonnelly.com. I believe that my full name still distinguishes me from every other person on planet Earth. So there is no one else named Devlin Dewitt Donnelly in the whole human universe.

But I guess that doesn't mean that you couldn't still name your son or even daughter after me, making them the second known person to be named Devlin Dewitt Donnelly.

But if you do, and they want to build a new website, they will need to get a different domain name, perhaps devlindewittdonnelly.me, which is still available.

Good luck keeping track of who is who in these modern times. I mean if people are competing for these ancient Irish-Gaelic names, surnames, and domain names just think of what the new children in China must be up against! And they don't even let you use Chinese characters for domain names.

So basically, if you want to give your child a new Chinese name and a website, we will have to overthrow the hegemony of ICANN and permit registering domains with other alphabets beside the Arabic one which you are reading now.

Ho, hum. But rest assured, there is only one Devlin Dewitt Donnelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment